Refuse and Recycling

There are two recycling centers near our neighborhood.

There is the East Lansing Public Works at 1800 E State Rd, East Lansing, MI 48823. They accept your typical recyclables such as cardboard, plastics, aluminum, paper, as well as Styrofoam (which is not accepted in their curb-side recycling).

There is also the Granger Recycling center at 16500 Wood Rd, Lansing, MI 48906.

Yes, residents can apply to get two recycle bins at a cost. See the Public Works website to request additional carts for a price.

You can purchase yellow trash bags to be included in your trash pickup. These can be purchased at various locations in East Lansing.

Yard Waste needs to be in rigid, plastic container (no more than 32 gallons) or paper bag with City yard waste sticker attached. Must not weigh more than 40 pounds. Sticks can be bundled (with string or twine) with a City yard waste sticker attached. Bundles may not be more than 4 feet long and 1 foot in diameter. Individual limbs must be 4 inches in diameter or less. Must not weigh more than 40 pounds. Stickers can be purchased online.

You can still recycle them! Aluminum is one of the easiest materials to recycle. You can include those cans in your recycling cart or drop them off at a recycling center.

Ingham County residents can dispose of common household hazardous items, including oil-based paints and solvents at the Ingham County Human Services Building, 5303 South Cedar Street, in Lansing.

Many auto service shops will also accept waste oil, fuel, or old tires and can recycle them.

The East Lansing Department of Public Works used to accept battery recycling. However, they have stopped accepting batteries and recommend you visit Batteries Plus at 3415 E Saginaw St Suite I, Lansing, MI 48912 for your battery recycling needs. They do charge a small fee for their services.


You can contact the Lansing Board of Water and Light to report any issues with street lights in our neighborhood. You can also email their customer support email at: customerservice@lbwl.com

Yes, property owners are responsible for clearing the sidewalks adjacent to their property in order to keep the community safe and walkable following major snowfalls. This includes residents, business owners, landlords/renters and any other owners of property in the City of East Lansing. See the snow ordinance for more detail.

The City of East Lansing would like to remind residents and property owners of their yard maintenance responsibilities during the growing season. Residents and property owners are reminded to maintain exterior properties free from weeds or plant/grass growth in excess of six inches. See the yard maintenance website for more details.

It is a good courtesy to trim low hanging tree branches from the trees in front of your house to provide better access to the streets and sidewalks. The official city ordinance on trees states that branches should be maintained at a height of seven feet above the sidewalks for pedestrian traffic.

The parkway (easement, right-of-way) is the portion of land between the sidewalk and the street.

Please see the East Lansing website on Urban Forestry for more information.